Saturday, January 15, 2011

New Sewing Books

Me with Sexy Sewing Books
 
I got new sewing books in the mail this week! (Unfortunately they were not very cheap but I do have free shipping with Amazon) I am super excited to start working on new projects. I want to do more work with pattern drafting and such. I'll work from left to right:

1) Doodle Stitching: The Motif Collection- This is the second book by Aimee Ray. this is her blog. I haven't done embroidery in many years but she makes it look cute and fun. I think it will be good inspiration for doing more textile art. I love the words "doodle stitching." Wouldn't it be lovely to doodle with thread on a fabric napkin instead of pencil on a paper napkin? I think so. I bet Aimee Ray would think so too. 

2) Pattern Magic- This is a book by Japanese fashion designer/instructor Tomoko Nakamichi. It is SO FRIGGIN COOL! Japanese fashion is typically crazier and more experimental than western fashion. It was recently translated into English. Pattern Magic 2 is ordered and will arrive pretty soon and there is a third book also which has yet to be translated and will focus on stretch/knit fabrics. I am starting to drool I am so excited. Nakamichi has such interesting ideas behind creating 3D garments from 2D paper and fabric. I can't get over it!

3) How to Make Sewing Patterns- This is a very technical instruction book by Donald H. McCunn. Is it cute? No. Is it colorful? No. Does it look fun? No. Is there anything to get really really excited about in regards to this book? Yes. It has everything you will ever need to know about drafting your own patterns. I am very glad to have this book. 

 Top: Doodle Stitching. Left: How to make Sewing Patterns. Right: Pattern Magic
Here is a pic of what the inside pages are like. Doodle Stitching is adorably colorful and has an outline of each motif. There is also a cd included with the book so you can re-size and print them. How to Make Sewing Patterns is text heavy but has helpful diagrams. Pattern Magic has a ton of pictures as well as diagrams. If you want to do projects with this book you need to know a bit about sewing and how to put things together first or else it will be confusing when you go to make stuff. Once again, super excited. I have many books about sewing but it can be difficult to find new and interesting information because not much changes in the "how to" aspect of physically building things with fabric. Sewing is cool. Books about sewing and patterning published in the last five years are extra cool.




No comments:

Post a Comment